Scottish P1 Powerboat team, Team Inverclyde, has announced its driver line-up ahead of this year’s opening race weekend in Scarborough, Yorkshire writes former P1 team owner Richard Carr.
Natives from the country Gordon Wicklow and Dino Zavaroni will race the ‘Spirt of Inverclyde’ powerboat in the inaugural P1 Scottish Grand Prix of the sea in June.
Before and after that, the team will also compete in the four other rounds of the championship which will take place in England and Wales.
Neither driver has raced in P1 previously, but raceboatinternational.com has revealed that the pair have spent many hours participating in RIB rallies and in the run-up to the first race weekend in Scotland will practise on the Clyde.
Despite not having a history of racing in P1, both drivers have a long history of being around powerboats and having known each other since 2010, shouldn’t’ have a problem getting inside the cockpit!
• Locally born and brought up in Bridge of Weir
• Keen dinghy sailor as a child and then moved into RIBs
• He is a director of his family business, Scobie & Junor based in East Kilbride, which manufactures spice blends and other products for the food industry
• Looking forward to representing Inverclyde and Scotland in the P1 race series
• Born in Greenock and grew up on the Isle of Bute
• Bought his first boat at the age of 14
• Has since owned many boats and met Gordon in 2010 through their common interest in boating
• Owner of DDZ Marina Limited at Largs Yacht Haven, selling and servicing a wide variety of craft
Speaking to raceboatinternational.com, the pair said:
Gordon Wicklow said: “I’ve been involved in powerboats all my life. When the opportunity came along to take part in P1 near my home, I jumped at it. We are going to give it our all this year with our families fully supporting us in the grand prix of the sea events.”
Dino Zavaroni added: “I started a marine repair and maintenance business 30 years ago which means we have a great base and back up for the team. We will have lots of training on the water in the new boat and we will be able to get a grip of the boat very quickly. Gordon and I have raced together before and have a great deal of experience on the water.”
You can watch the pair make their debuts in the P1 UK Superstock championship in May when they will head to Yorkshire’s historic coastal town, Scarborough.
Warning: include(/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/9/d542973572/htdocs/app543768771/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php7.0') in /homepages/9/d542973572/htdocs/app543768771/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41